Monday, September 12, 2011

2012_10_15 Wrap up

So it's now been 8 months since I completed treatment. It's hard to remember at this point. In August, I had my 6 month post-treatment blood work. My viral load was once again negative. This is called SVR - sustained virological response. That's as close as the medical community gets to saying "cured". So now my medical history no longer says "has Hep C." It now says "history of Hep C." I'll take it!

There have been no lasting ill effects. My hemoglobin returned to normal within a few weeks of ending treatment. It's hard to remember how weak I felt. It's hard to remember that I gave myself shots. And the watch which I grew to hate because of the alarms & timers that tied me to medicine has become a nice addition to my wardrobe. I'm not sure I could even set an alarm without the handbook at this point.

My doctor put it well: It's not easy, but it's doable. Every case is different, but for me, it wasn't as bad as I expected. And it was so very worth it!

The End

No comments: